Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Short Ending

4 months after finishing training, I still find myself
having trouble ending this blog. In part it is because I know that it is
difficult to put away a chapter in your life and continue moving forward, but
also, I’ve come to realize that training never really ends. You never really
learn all there is to learn, or do all there is to do. The one thing you can do
is simply gain more understanding, do more, and never be surprised at the
things you have yet to learn, accomplish, and understand.

Yes, it sounds a little cheesy, but it’s the truth. One day
you’re walking along confidently, having completed 8 months of top notch blindness
training, and thinking absolutely nothing of blindness and you ask someone if
the unmarked door in front of you is the men’s room, and hear someone tell the
person you’ve just asked the question to softly reply: “you know, there is no
one inside if you want to help him.”

That may throw you off for a bit, but you have got to
remember that just because you understand blindness, it doesn’t mean that
everyone else does or will.

My training has ended. It all flew by and I am absolutely grateful
to have put aside time to do so. If you aren’t sure what to expect, are curious
about receiving this type of training, go and visit one of the NFB centers, see
if it is something that you can benefit from. It will challenge you, I will not
say otherwise, but it is worth it.

I no longer live in NY, and have started a new job in a new
city.

This is the last post on this blog.

Thank you for reading and I hope that someone out there has a clearer perspective of
what to expect, what they might think while they are there, and if it is
something worth looking into.

No comments:

Post a Comment